Re: Oracle and Docker partnership details?

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 00:39:11 -0400

On 04/21/2017 09:56 AM, Ryan January wrote:

I do think it's fantastic that Oracle is trying to get up to date with modern deployment practices, getting us freed from the archaic install process.

Well, that "archaic install process" is necessary if Oracle wants to support things like AIX, Windows, HP-UX and last but certainly not least, Solaris. Docker is a Linux-only platform. Sure, AIX, HP-UX and Solaris may vanish, but I doubt that Windows is going anywhere soon. So let's place Docker where it belongs: into the Linux world. The future of Docker also depends on what will the Microsoft do with their database, which is coming to Linux, this time not as an April fool's joke. If there is a database with more installed instances than Oracle, that's SQL Server. SQL Server 2016 has a row level locking, in-memory component which holds both row and column representation of the table in memory, a technology pioneered by something called "Blu Acceleration" almost a year before Oracle 12c, and the right to create partitioned tables with no extra license costs and will be a formidable competitor to Oracle, right from the start. If MS doesn't do Docker, that will be a big snag for Docker. And it doesn't look like MS will do Docker. MS chose Ubuntu as their foremost Linux platform and there is no SQL Server snap available. For those who don't know, snappy is a Ubuntu version of Docker:

https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/snappy

I was looking for a SQL Server snap, because I am running Ubuntu on my desktop. As a matter of fact, this very message is written on Ubuntu desktop.

Any progress is great in my eyes.

It's questionable whether installing Oracle with Docker is a progress. One size fits all installation will not be as easy to adjust to powerful machines people usually use as DB servers. I know that Oracle is pushing Docker hard, but Oracle doesn't have a Midas touch. Some things that Oracle has bought have turned into mufflers: Hyperion, x10 and WebLogic are prime examples. I guess it's a different kind of Midas touch.

I'm just looking at it very skeptically before I start talking about it more with our devs. Is this just a PR spin, trying to get everyone excited about Oracle cloud?

It may well be the case. Amazon and Azure are far ahead of Oracle in the cloud game. IBM Bluemix is a very serious competitor, too. I am not sure that mixing Docker into the Oracle cloud offering will be such a revolution. It remains to be seen. As opposed to many others on this list, I am adopting wait and see attitude when Docker is in question. I was once berated on this list,
by being told that Docker is now a $1G venture. To answer that, I can only remind people that Lehman Brothers was a $600G venture.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA