RE: Oracle Transparent Gateway

  • From: "David Kurtz" <info2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Nagarajan.Subbiah@xxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 18:06:21 +0100

MessageI have used Generic Connectivirt in the past.  At the time we were
connecting from a PeopleSoft running on Oracle 8 on a Unix server (can't
remember the flavour) to a Tandem(?) mainframe.  We had an ODBC driver for
windows only.  So we installed Oracle on a windows server and created an
Oracle listener (no need for a database) and created an HS service in the
listener that connected to an ODBC data source.  Then we created a TNS entry
on the Oracle database server that pointed at this listener.  We could then
create a database link in the usual way to the Tandem mainframe and
reference objects via a normal database link.

We buried the db link syntax inside database views in the Oracle database,
because it was easier to manage from within PeopleTools.  However, it also
enabled us to control which columns were visible and what they were called
in PeopleSoft.  We had reasons for changing column names to match the
PeopleSoft naming convention.

We found that we transactional control on the mainframe from the Oracle
session.  If we updated a data value we took out a lock until we committed
the Oracle session.
Although I think that behaviour might also depend on the ODBC driver.  You
can also get some strange error messages coming back in your Oracle session.
It looks really odd when you get standard Microsoft error messages in a
SQL*Plus session.

Watch out for date formatting.  A date column on the remote database may
arrive as a charater string in a default format.  That also can depend on
the ODBC driver and its settings.  In some cases I have reformatted the
dates in the views that I create in the Oracle database.  This kind of thing
can also prevent you updating remote data - but you probably shouldn't be
doing that with GC.

Oracle says "Generic Connectivity is a free feature of Oracle9i. It is
available with the database license. "

They also say "Generic Connectivity is a low-end solution based on
ODBC/OLEDB standards and it has some restrictions such as no distributed
updates possible. Transparent Gateways are tailored for the non-Oracle
system. They offer more functionality such as full 2PC and provide better
performance than Generic Connectivity. "

I suppose that's why you pay $15000 per computer for Gateway Technonogy -
see http://www.oracle.com/gateways/gateway_bundles/faq.html

regards
David Kurtz
Go-Faster Consultancy Ltd.
tel: +44 (0)7771 760660
fax: +44 (0)7092 348865
web: www.go-faster.co.uk
mailto:david.kurtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Next Go-Faster Seminar: PeopleSoft for the DBA, London UK, October