Re: Oracle Streams vs Advanced Replication

  • From: Sami Seerangan <dba.orcl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dnt9000@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 22:50:52 -0400

Dave,

We have both Streams and Adv. replication implemented, each has its own iss=
ues.
Recently we implemented Quest Shareplex too (just for migration purpose)
Ask yourself these questions before you decide between these two.

1)What kind of replication you are taking about?=20
Uni-directional or Bi-directional
Synchronous or Asynchronous

2) Do you update the same data in more than one database?
hot-hot or hot-warm(like primary and DR site kind of)

3)What is the Oracle version you will be using to implement this solution?
I heard 10g streams are much better compare to 9i. We do have some
issues with 9i streams (like runaway process,etc where the capture
process is running)

4) Are you going to implement this in clustered environment?
If you are using 9i streams, it cannot mine redo logs. It can mine
only archive redo logs.

5)How ofter you will be making structural changes to replicated objects?
If you are using OAR, you have quiesce the database group where you
are making structural changes. All the replication sites are NOT
available for DML changes for that replication group.

Regards,
Sami