Re: Oracle Standard Edition & RAC

  • From: "Alex Gorbachev" <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 12:46:48 -0500

On 1/5/07, Kevin Closson <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You could (and people did) actually maintain standby using custom
script since at least version 7 I believe - transfer archive logs and
keep the instance in the permanent recovery mode. Double packer!

...poor RPO ... would be better to do distributed block server sort of
stuff
Like HP EVA CA or YottYotta I should think...and come to think of it
with the EE->SE savings you might be able to afford something like
YottaYotta

I'm not an expert in replication solutions provided by storage vendors
but I did hear some compliments about old good EVA. Even though, I
believe this induces some additional dependencies between two storage
boxes. On the other hand, storage vendor replication can keep DR site
more up to date and up to real time.
Cost could be another advantage of manual standby assuming scripting
is done properly and management efforts are not high.

--
Best regards,
Alex Gorbachev

The Pythian Group