Oracle SE and Standby database...

  • From: "Dhimant Patel" <drp4kri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 17:33:15 -0400

Hi ALL!
This is indeed my first mail but since last sometime I enjoyed reading
conversations and ideas presented on this mailing list.

Here is my small :-) problem. We are a small company with tight budget and I
need to come up with Oracle standby database for our 2 CPU SE license. Any
ideas? I read good amount of documentation
and it references that it is possible - I want to put this into production.

From what I can follow:

1. You have a production db running on Oracle SE.
2. Create an SE db on different server, run it in standby recovery mode.
3. Copy log files from production to standby server and apply logs.

Although when you follow it deeper it doesn't sound so simple. Consideration must apply towards keeping uniqueness of the data between the DBs and so now you are adding one more level of complexity and a whole lot of configuration.

As already mentioned - I am just exploring and may come up with some simpler
mechanism to implement this - hopefully.

Has anyone done this?
What is the best approach for small organizations to achieve
99.9%availability while keeping cost down?
Could RMAN help?

Thanks,
Dhimant Patel.