RE: Oracle Raising its prices

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:03:29 -0500 (CDT)

I'm (very very) far from an economics expert, but this doesn't make sense to
me.  Inflation forecasts (US at least) are trending down according to
http://forecasts.org/inflation.htm  And I've never heard of a publicly held
company that responds to the inflation rate in determining employee
compensation, unless perhaps it's part of union labor negotiations.

If this rate increase is true, it's more likely to do with it being how much
more revenue Oracle Corp figures they can get from customers before the
customer reaches their FYO point (as so eloquitely put by one blog).
Perhaps they're looking to more quickly reduce debt (and any interest paid
on that) from a string of recent large aquisitions.  Simple capitalism.

As a customer, our FYO point is decreased by the constant quarterly
reminders of "record revenues!" from Oracle, but I'm sure that's already
been accounted for in this decision.

My $.015 (adjusted for inflation),
Rich