Re: Oracle RAC on Win vs. Oracle on Linux

  • From: sathish balasubramaniam <sat0789@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 16:39:26 +0400

Hello Robert,

   Our IT is 100% windows shop and we are running our production JDE system
on Oracle RAC. Its a 4 node 10.2.0.3 RAC platform on windows 2003 server 64
bit.
   32 bit was pretty much a pain in the rear end. Constant memory issues.
   When i joined -- ( this was about 2 1/2 years back), we were on the 32
bit with daily production shutdowns.
   Within 3 months we made the move to 64 bit.
   It works perfecftly ok. ( with 2 major issues in the last 2 years which
caused us a month of constant problems and node evictions)
   One thing i would advocate is to have a fantastic system admin/storage
admin who is not a crackhead.
   This was our problem here and still is.
   System admin here thinks he is the lord and the master and will not
listen to anything you say.
   As long as the system is working fine, no issues but even a small problem
results in finger pointing.
   On the flip side, we do have to do a reboot all the db servers every 2 to
3 weeks.
   This is more out of caution and for some reason ( we are still trying to
figure this out),the load balacing (we have server and client side setup)
kind of goes into a dizzy leaving one server at the low end in terms of
connections.
  This server has a CPU usage on the higer side ( LMS process are in the top
5 sessions for this server) resulting in less sessions being sent to it.
This in turn causes queries to start using bad excution paths (my theory.
The same query uses a nested loop on one of the nodes but the other one
results in a sort merge join which goes on forever causing major gc buffer
busy waits)
  Once we are in the scenerio, a complete reboot of the system is very much
needed. Then things are back to normal.

  RAC on windows needs a bit of baby sitting and constant monitoring.

Thanks,

Sat