Oracle RAC backup hardware/software recommendation?

  • From: manuela mueller <mueller_m@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:55:17 +0200

Dear list members,
currently our company is in the process to evaluate a new backup
software/hardware solution for backups with RMAN and I'm very interested
in your experience and opinions.

We are running a 4 node RAC (9.2.0.5) on linux (Suse SLES-8).
All datafiles reside on OCFS partitions. Current DB size is 1TB,
estimated growth during the next 2 years up to 10TB.
During one week we have to archive 300-500G on archived redo log files.

We are running a catalog database.

The sysadmin prefers hardware from HP StorageWorks (EML 245E) or
hardware from Storagetech with LTO3 tapes.

Concerning the Media Management API, I was thinking about Veritas
NetBackup, Legato Networker, IBM Tivoli.
One associate advised my to have also a look at syncsort Backup Express.

What is your experience with these products in terms of reliability,
implementation, support quality, documentation accuracy,
performance...success or horror stories?

Any suggestions are welcome.
TIA and have a nice day

Manuela Mueller