RE: Oracle Performance on VMWare

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jon.Crisler@xxxxxxx" <Jon.Crisler@xxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 10:41:41 -0700

Hi Jon,

Could you please provide more details on the bad performance you've seen with
Oracle on VMWare?  I've tested performance with 64-bit Oracle 10.2.0.4 on OEL 4
& 5 both running on VMWare ESX 3.5 and performance was just as good on VMWare
as it was on bare metal.  I've also implemented a production environment in
this configuration and another one running Oracle App Server 10g on VMWare with
excellent performance as well.  Maybe you were testing on an older version of
VMWare, or VMWare Server instead of ESX, or had some misconfiguration or bug
that was causing problems?  For example, I had horrible performance when I ran
32-bit OEL4 on 64-bit VMWare, but when I switched to 64-bit OEL4, performance
was great.

Here is a good article about Oracle on VMWare (maybe a wee bit biased given the
source):
http://blogs.vmware.com/performance/2007/11/ten-reasons-why.html

No, I don't work for VMWare, and I don't have extensive experience with it -
only about 6 months, but so far, so good in my experience.

Regards,
Brandon