Re: Oracle Performance Graph

  • From: Martin Berger <martin.a.berger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: krishna000@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 08:32:04 +0200

Bala,

unfortunately I cannot tell you any tool, as I'm pretty sure, your
question is wrong. (and I'll try to show, why):
Databases does not have a quality of 'performance'. They have others
like 'datafile size', 'SGA size', 'recoverability' or something like
that. But per se they are either 'fast' nor 'slow' and do not have any
'performance'.
Applications (and derived from them, statements) can have qualities
like 'expected response-time', 'expected throughput' or also 'expected
Cost ($$$) to maintain'.
Based on these expectations, you can trace or sample the real numbers
and compare them to the expectations.
After this is done, you can say anything about 'fast' or 'slow', but
not regarding the database (or Instance) but Application or
SQL-statement.

Basically I suggest to colelct this timing-information in the
application side; if this is not done (no instrumentation) ASH/AWR can
help under some circumstances to _collect_ some data, in other cases
you have to sue other tools or write your own.

visualisation of these numbers is only the last step and often can be
done with excel or some other client-based multi purpose graphing
tool.

sorry for not providing an easy answer,
 Martin

--
Martin Berger           martin.a.berger@xxxxxxxxx
Lederergasse 27/2/14           +43 660 660 83306