Re: Oracle Partitioning

  • From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 11:20:43 -0500

Jeff,
I agree that if your application can use partition pruning to reduce the
size of full table scans that will be the major benefit from licensing
partitioning. You must also be sure that you partition in a way that will
allow partition pruning to apply. You can partition at two levels, if that
helps.

To give you a practical example, we had a reporting application that had to
SUM rows over a specific time period, usually the previous week. So there
was no index benefit. As the table grew over time, the FTS took longer and
longer, amounting to several minutes. The users were unhappy to say the
least. I partitioned down to the week level and response dropped to
subsecond. The users were ecstatic. I don't think anything I've done as a
DBA had gotten such praise.

I believe Oracle license policy permits you to create a test database to
verify the advantages for your application as part of your company's
evaluation.

Dennis Williams