Re: Oracle Options

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cmarquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 09:02:10 +0100

On 5/19/05, Marquez, Chris <cmarquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Others like Context are more difficult
> >> sign a letter stating that your not using it.
>
> Comes with all versions according to a doc I got in MAY-2004.

Ah yes, the joys of Goalpost Moving (tm). Back in the days when OracleText
was the context cartridge, it was indeed seperately licensable, when it
became intermediaText it slipped into all editions - i.e. it became a
Feature and no longer an Option, and not even an Enterprise Edition feature
at that.

Likewise anyone wanting to do case insensitive searching on SE is strongly
advised to migrate to 9.2 where function based indexes become available in
all editions.

At least the two examples above are movements in the right direction -
supplying more for your money rather than asking you to pay more for the
same.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA