Re: Oracle Management System (OEM) on linux

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 09:16:51 -0600 (CST)

Hey Joe,

> We are trying to decide whether to put our oms on linux. We've always
> had it on windows so this would be new to us. Has anyone done this and
> if so how has it run? Specifically, has it been consistently good in
> running jobs and sending alerts? Any other useful info is also appreciated.

In my case, no it hasn't been consistently good, but I don't believe it's a
Linux-vs-Windows issue.  One of the major problems I've had (and spouted off
about on this list) was scheduled jobs simply not running for no apparent
reason.  And since these were backup jobs, which GC does not allow making
changes to, the only fix was to drop and recreate them.  Patch 7576937
seemed to have corrected it, but I've moved my backup jobs out of GC.

I've also made it known my, erm, "displeasure" with GC reliability in other
areas.  Most recently, one metric failed to correctly report the lack of
freespace in a production tablespace.  Only after I added more space to the
datafiles did the metric correct itself.  There is a litany of articles on
MOS that deal with freespace metric issues in GC.  Unfortunately, none of
them seemed to fit my particular situation.  Needless to say -- but I'll say
it anyway -- I'm in the process of replacing GC now due to reliability
issues.

> I already know about the problems installing it because we have a test
> system installed. I'm looking for long term stability and reliability info.

Problems installing on Linux?  Now that one's new to me.  I tried for a week
or two to install 10.2.0.3.0 on Windows with no success.  This was during
the "dead zone" of the then-new DST 2007 changes, in between the old and the
new changeover dates.  I convinced my SR to let me try OEL 4, and had GC up
and running in a morning.  Which Linux are you attempting to install it on?

I monitor just 5 databases, including the OMS repository.  With all the
other targets that I don't care about, this results in about 30 targets in
GC.  The spartan server I'm using for the OMS and repository DB has 2GB of
RAM.  After about two months, swap usage hits >1.5GB and I need to bounce
the OMS.  I have seen nothing to believe that this issue could be solved by
adding RAM, only delayed.  I'm using the 32-bit version of OEL 4, if that
makes any difference to anyone.

Just my $.02,
Rich