Re: Oracle - MS Access - Does your company have a policy about local vs. centralized data storage? (Perhaps a bit off topic?)

  • From: kathy duret <katpopins21@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 12:44:35 -0700 (PDT)

Unfortunately we don't and I wish we would have a policy to use central
storage.

  We are going to implement Oracle Apps here and I hope to  get rid of  "The
Access of Evil" here and get policies in place for using Apps data.

  Users copy another's Access database and tweak it this way and that way not
  understanding what lies underneath.  They often don't know about changes in
the databases or applications that affect their Access and Excel databases.

  Three of us just spent countless hours trying to figure out a reported
discrepancy in inventory for this month end end to find out the user was
getting their information from a 97 Access database that has not been updated
in who knows how long!

  Why they aren't using the Business Objects and Apps reports we give them?  I
really would like an answer to this myself.

  I also don't like local data often not backed up and if the machine goes or
the user then so does the information.

  Any way.. I am venting now.

  Have a good weekend everybody!

  Kathy

Choose the right car based on your needs.  Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car
Finder tool.