RE: Oracle - MS Access - Does your company have a policy about local vs. centralized data storage? (Perhaps a bit off topic?)

  • From: "Ken Naim" <kennaim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Niall Litchfield'" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 16:46:53 -0400

I can't tell you how many times I was asked to prove the warehouse against a
printed copy of an excel document from a few years back without "an as of
date", with column headers that have different meanings to different people
and the person who initially wrote the report is no longer with the company
and they don't understand why my (the data warehouse) numbers are wrong.

Also knowing which numbers are right are another story, while gathering
requirements for the warehouse, I asked to see the reports that they
currently use and built the warehouse to the match the logic in report 123
for example. And then I get a complaint that it doesn't match report 456
which is correct, so now I talk to the owners of both 123 and 456 and
realize that they both are wrong and I correct the data and logic in the
warehouse and produce a much more correct number. 6 months go by and they
want to know why the warehouse doesn't match the old reports and breakdown
the difference by each individual issue. SO after repeating this process at
least 7 or 8 times the warehouse finally got some respect.

I never understood why they were so hesitant to trust the warehouse when the
reason I was hired was that they couldn't trust operation reporting <shrugs>

While I consider myself a realist and not a cynic, in most circumstance the
two realities are identical. In the case of this company revenues were being
misreported as well but to the downside and the company took it in stride,
many of the division chiefs were very upset and it took a long time to
convince them that the warehouse was correct but we spun it to them saying
profits were actually higher as percentage as they now had a smaller
divisor. The data warehouse project is still ongoing and more and more data
marts are being added, now I am not sure if this error was found during a
bad year instead of a good year what would have happened.

Ken

  _____