Re: Oracle Financials

  • From: Kellyn Pedersen <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxxxx, niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 07:17:55 -0800 (PST)

My learning style must be the opposite of Niall's then...:)

I was quickly able to come up to speed and manage the day to day demands after
reading "Oracle Application DBA Field Guide".  It is the book I would have
recommended of the two that I purchased a couple years back, but I am one of
those who work best in the "just give me the facts" without any "fluff", it
just clouds the essentials.  If I need more filled in after I've disected it
myself, I'll hopefully know enough at that point to google for specifics...:)

I've been out of Apps for a year now, but can agree, it is a moving target that
requires a DBA that can think outside the box.  After getting to know the
concurrent manager, FND wrappers to Oracle packages, etc, etc. you really do
get the feeling that Oracle took a group of developers, put them out on a
little island, said, "build us a financial application" but forgot to let them
in on the 10 commandmants of Oracle, (i.e. thou shalt not build complex views
upon complex views, though shalt not index every column in a table,....:))

Kellyn Pedersen
Sr. Database Administrator
I-Behavior Inc.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kellynpedersen
www.dbakevlar.blogspot.com

"Go away before I replace you with a very small and efficient shell script..."