Re: Oracle Financials

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 15:02:30 +0000

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 4:57 AM, John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

>  I also know of "Oracle Application DBA Field Guide" by Elke
> Phelps and Paul Jackson, but I haven't read it so cannot comment.

Hi, I asked the exact same question in 2006. I got 4 replies in total 3 of
which mentioned this book. I'll quote Mark Farnham's reply to me from back
then below. I do think it's a very good book. It didn't however turn out so
suitable for me *learning* about apps. It really is a field guide, that is a
quick reference style book - think the Reference or SQL Reference books in
the database docs, invaluable but not the best place to start. I personally
don't learn very well from lists and bullets, but much prefer to understand
the first principles and then the design and then the implementation
details. This of course means I take a while to get up to speed and have an
instinctive aversion to google style type a keyword get an answer
searches.  Mark's review is below. The paper he refers to is John K's "What
is an Apps DBA?" that at the time was on geocities (now dead) which was
excellent but now seems to be unavailable, and is probably somewhat outdated
by now.

===========
I'm in the middle of reviewing Oracle Applications DBA Field Guide by Elke
Phelps and Paul Jackson and published by Apress. The ink seems a little
moist, but it is available to purchase.
Disclaimer: Elke wrote something nice about me, and my ethics advisor says I
have to mention that when I review the book. Check. Also I got a free copy
to review. Check.
This book will definitely save you a ton of time just looking for where the
various geniuses decided the various configuration files affecting the
E-business suite should live.
The bonus is that it describes what lives where on all the logical tiers and
describes common ways of positioning the various logical tiers on actual
servers. You'll get an appreciation of the whole stack of technology that an
E-business suite (Oracle Apps) DBA often gets roped into supporting.
John's paper is also good, but here is the problem: Not just the
implementation, but also the architecture of the E-business suite is a
moving target. Without pulling it up and reviewing again after four years,
I'd wager a dozen donuts that bits of John's paper are now wrong (I think
that is what John is implying when he says it is still relevant from a
conceptual view, which I'm sure it is.) Soon bits of Elke and Paul's book
will be out of date. For example, real soon now you won't have to use
jinitiator any more and the native java "thingy" will work just fine. (The
early adopter program is already open, and this is NOT smoke and mirrors.)
However, right now the book is extremely accurate (as far as I've read, and
that's about half way through), and the sectional description should stand
the test of time at least until Fusion.
I hope you find it useful. (And I have no financial interest in the book and
this is not a paid review, in case you wondered.)

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA