Re: Oracle Exadata Machine

  • From: "Keith Moore" <kmoore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Riyaj Shamsudeen" <riyaj.shamsudeen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 12:05:08 -0500 (CDT)

Well, I did say "mostly". It's possible that "partially" is more accurate. I
don't have direct performance comparison between the two but would certainly
like to.

My point is that something designed from the ground up for a particular task
'should' perform better than something that is adapted from existing
technology. Again, I can't say whether that is true in this case.

The Neteeza appliance is designed around modules with a CPU, custom ASIC chip
and hard drive. There are around 200 modules (could be more or less depending
on configuration), each processing 0.5% of the data and passing the results to
another CPU for consolidation.

To me that is a better architecture for certain types of applications. Then
there's the columnar database people (Vertica) that will tell you their
architecture is better still.

Keith