Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g initial knee jerk

  • From: "Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:40:38 -0600

First, the Linux downloads of EM 10g were NOT gzipped, despite them having
".gz" extensions.  The big clue is that the downloaded size is larger than
specified on the webpage.

Second, instead of using "cpio -idcmv" to explode them on Gentoo, I needed
to drop the "c" option (i.e. "cpio -idmv").

Third, it's THREE CDs!  Eeep!  Probably why the DB install is down to one.

Fourth, minimum RAM for install is 512MB (with all on one test box).  Don't
even try it on 512MB.  I had over 270 processes created just to run EM (many
were Java threads).  Sheesh!  At 1GB, it was a struggle (down to 89MB free
at one point with other stuff running), but doable.

Fifth, I had to stop here after failing to find the default SYSMAN password,
or forgetting if I set one during the install, and I needed to give back
512MB of mem that I borrowed from another machine.  The install doc is not
currently available on OTN!

I was looking for something simpler than 9i.  Instead I got something vastly
more complex.  I'm not particularly fond of increasing the complexity of the
instance/DB monitor at this point.  Still, I want to see it in action if I
can scrape up enough memory.

Interested to hear about others' experiences with the TenGEM on any
platform...

Rich

Rich Jesse                        System/Database Administrator
rich.jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx      QuadTech, Sussex, WI USA