Re: Oracle DR using storage remote replication

  • From: Rich J <rjoralist3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2015 10:16:30 -0500

On 2015/10/09 09:53, Kenny Payton wrote:

I don't know the specific details behind XIV but you should be able to define
a consistency group for all storage that makes up the database. Replication
of this consistency group should be consistent to a point in time and
therefore instance crash recoverable. This is a fairly general explanation
but a somewhat common practice.

I'm not intimately involved in the storage, but this concept is exactly
what our storage guy was telling me.

You probably also want to discuss this with an Oracle licensing expert. You
might find that block replicating your database storage to another location
for DR will require licensing as well, even if you're not mounting that
storage to any machine.

Yeah, I do need to schedule a meeting with our sales person, but since
there is no active server/LPAR, there's no binaries installed and no
instance possible, which basically makes this a backup. I read that this
scenario gives us a number of days per quarter/year for testing without
the need for additional licensing, which is what makes this scenario
attractive for us.

Thanks!
Rich