Re: Oracle DR Solution

  • From: Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha <gajav@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L List <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 21:30:55 -0700

Hi Hemant,
Good morning! What you state may be relevant to your environment but does not
necessarily have to be the case for every environment. Here is a real-life
example:

Company with 3 datacenters - A (PRIMARY), B (HA) and C (DR). A and B are 60km
apart in the same state. C is totally different state and a different timezone
and is 1,572 miles away. B & C are reasonably in sync with the contents of A
and this is done using Oracle Golden Gate. A, B and C all run Oracle, the same
version of Oracle and are on the same platform.

A has a serious failure. B is now the PRIMARY. Reporting needs to be offloaded
to DR, to maintain SLAs on B. The reporting component of the application
utilizes and manipulates Global Temporary Tables, thus requiring the database
to be in READ/WRITE mode. Cannot use DG or Active DG in this case, because one
cannot manipulate a GTT in a READ ONLY WITH APPLY mode database. Replication
using Oracle Golden Gate is the way to go, thus making it a DR solution.

Best regards,

Gaja

Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha,
CEO & Founder, DBPerfMan LLC
http://www.dbperfman.com
Phone - 001-650-743-6060
Co-author:Oracle Insights:Tales of the Oak Table -
http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID14
Co-author:Oracle Performance Tuning 101 -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0072131454/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-6130796-4625766