RE: Oracle DBA future

  • From: "Stephens, Chris" <chris_stephens@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ranko.mosic@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 08:19:46 -0600

This is a very open ended question that gets asked from time to time.  I
enjoy reading everyone's 2 cents on this since my own view of the dba
landscape is obviously limited by my own experience.  Personally, I do
think the landscape is changing.  The database is undoubtedly getting
easier to manage.  This is especially true in smb's where many of the
database product's default settings don't need to be tinkered with and
the wizard-type features increasingly prove useful.  There will always
be a need to understand the concepts and underlying technology but I do
think that people can start at a higher level of the technology stack
and be ok 99% of the time.  The improvements in database manageability
must be viewed as an opportunity.  I'm 32 years old and I plan on a long
future as a 'dba'.  Over the last year I've started to venture into
development and have found that I thoroughly enjoy that type of work.
As a dba I understand that security, manageability and scalability must
be considered as systems are developed...not once they are ready to move
into production.  Many careers can be made by realizing that fact alone.
If you don't enjoy development there are many other areas that I feel
will be in high demand for many years.  DBA's are the stewards of the
company's most valued asset. Data.

I can see many other IT functions being outsourced or rendered obsolete.
I just don't see forward thinking CIO's getting rid of intelligent, hard
working database professionals.  They offer too much strategic advantage
for companies to  get rid of.

Having said that...I do plan on picking up some knowledge of Mysql + a
general programming language...probably python.  I don't want all of my
eggs in one basket. :)