Re: Oracle DBA future

  • From: E Rudans <oceheb@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: ranko.mosic@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 11:49:20 +0200

Hello,

To my knowledge, understanding business required for long time.
Without this understanding hardly possible to tune application and db
right. How to understand what exactly to tune &ndash; what is
important to business? What backup and recovery strategy to develop?
MTTR and MTBF? How company is confident in paying $500K only for
oracle database enterprise edition? All this related to dba. Maybe,
in that article, what they mean is  - better sooner than later? :)

On the other hand, there are still loads of pure technical work to
do, for example (what first comes to mind):
&middot; Developing and advancing backup and recovery strategy
&middot; Actual backups testing, restoring and testing
&middot; Different crash scenarios modeling and recovery testing
&middot; Recovery documentation and testing
&middot; Proactive monitoring and analysis
&middot; Moving data between test and development, sensual data
scrambling
&middot; Maintaining security, patching, auditing, logs analysis
&middot; New features, new releases, new platforms, docs refresh
- etc, etc

From my point in view, all this require time and professionals, and
if more integration with business is needed, more resources is needed
as well (simply add more resources - Grid Era :)

 Ed Rudans
Oracle DBA
http://erudans.info

 Цитирование Ranko Mosic : Hi List,
 Bit defeatist and off-topic, I admit, but I'd like to hear what's
the
 opinion on future of our profession and which way to go.
 My experiences:
 1995 - Oracle DBA collegaue says: it will all be automated - no
DBA's
 needed ( no real threat, now we know)
 1999 y2k, no work, Yourdon predicts y2k/programmer Armageddon; I
work
 both as Oracle DBA and programmer, just to survive
 2001/2 we know what happened; IT doesn't matter ( Carr ); that ended
too
 2007 I experienced firsthand offshoring to India ( works quite well
)
 What I read in trade press is that DBA's and geeks in general can't
be
 just technical any more, we must get into business side.
 What does list think ? If we all must be more business savvy,
 what's the best way to get into it from where we are now ? Data
modeling ?
 Suggestions, ideas, thoughts please.
 --
 Regards,