RE: Oracle DBA future

  • From: "Goulet, Dick" <richard.goulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 16:19:58 -0400

Well, I'll toss in my belated 2 cents as well,

Many years ago some very smart people said that client-server would
forever end host based computing and be the final end all of computing.
Then came along this thing called the internet and we all traded in our
terminal emulators for browsers.  Thus began the second coming of host
based computing.  Can you see where I'm going??

A few years ago people said that code generators would forever eliminate
programmers/developers.  Today code generators are parts of development
packages that developers use, now the general population.  Now you ought
to know where I'm going.

A couple of years ago Microsoft said their database was so automated
that you would never again need a DBA.  My how fast they back tracked on
that statement.

The point I'm trying to make is that the role of a DBA is changing and
will continue to change.  Not because of any major change in the way
databases are run as all automation has done for us is relieve us of the
wizards cap.  Namely automation can so much more easily and responsively
tune things than we ever could and with a lot less black magic to boot.
So since we're relieved of those tasks we have time to spend on other
tasks that are of much more importance to our employers.  And to add to
that Oracle and the other vendors are always tossing new items into the
mix called "New Features and Functions for DBA's" and "New Features and
Functions for Developers".  Basically this is their attempt to keep us
gainfully employed explaining and implementing these new items to the
betterment of our employer's bottom line.  Read that as they double team
us to keep from hiring new developers.  Today your expected to be a DBA,
Data Architect, keeper of the corporate data dictionary, data
warehouse/mart developer, WEB programmer, business analyst, etc.....
The list can get mighty long.  Why, because we're the closest to the
data of anyone and as someone previously said, data is GOLD.  Actually I
don't believe the data is gold, but the information you derive there
from is, which makes the intelligence you possess Platinum.  And
therefore there will be no decrease in the need for a DBA.  As for those
foreign/outsourcing DBA's, we probably should change the title from DBA
to DataBase Baby Sitter of DBBS, because that's about all the value they
add.

Dick Goulet / Capgemini
North America P&C / East Business Unit
Senior Oracle DBA / Hosting
Office: 508.573.1978 / Mobile: 508.742.5795 / www.capgemini.com
Fax: 508.229.2019 /  Email: richard.goulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
45 Bartlett St. / Marlborough, MA 01752

Together: the Collaborative Business Experience