RE: Oracle Complete Recovery.

  • From: "Goulet, Dick" <DGoulet@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <GJohnson@xxxxxxx>, <prabhu_adam@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 09:40:53 -0400

Well,  That's a very good point, at the end.  A db is down, production
or otherwise,  panic is one's worst enemy.  My rule of thumb is first go
get a cup of coffee so as to allow the initial surge of Adrenalin to
pass.  Next comes the hard part, what broke?  Is it the network layer,
has happen to me several time that the listener process dies
unexpectedly mainly from a SA who thinks processes shouldn't run that
long.  Second did the instance crash?  It may be that one or two
tablespaces crashed for one reason or another.  Had a situation some
time ago where a junior dba took the rollback segment (8.0) tablespace
offline by accident.  Which brings up the next question, what errors are
people seeing?  If one or more tablespaces, non system, are offline did
something in the disk subsystem fail, like a controller card or drive?
Once you know what broke, then it's what do I have to fix things?  Like
when was the last backup?  Was it hot or cold?  What was the purpose of
the tablespace?  If it was all indexes do I have the definition of those
indexes as it may be easier to rebuild than recover.  And in the end if
you really do have to restore everything, first keep a copy of the
current control file.  Your going to need it as whatever is on the
backup tape is old in comparison.  And then finally there's either:

Alter database recover database;

Or just plain

Recover database;

But if all you lost was one file or tablespace that changes to something
like:

Alter database recover tablespace/datafile <name>;