Re: Oracle Change Data Capture????

  • From: "jaromir nemec" <jaromir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <greg.loughmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:03:28 +0100

Hi,

> Has anyone got any experience in using the Oracle Change Data Capture
"tool"
> in a 9205 Database?

Interesting, no response on CDC!

That fits my theory, that CDC is a fantastic feature, but a win - loose
constellation. (OLTP has overhead and responsibility; DW only profit without
effort).

So the OLTP part rather inclines to accept alternative data capture
mechanisms (mostly connected with much higher overhead) but under the
responsibility of the DW group.

Of course my experience is not necessary representative!

This could change in - my opinion - with asynchron CDC based in redo log as
the responsibility of  the capture  may be passed over along with the log
file and the OLTP overhead will be minimised.

Regards

Jaromir D.B. Nemec