Oracle, C# and ADO.net....

  • From: "Grabowy, Chris" <chris.grabowy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 11:10:54 -0400

We are cluelessly converting a few C# applications to use Oracle instead
of SQL Server.

I barely understand ADO.net, but it appears that it uses optimistic
concurrency.  Which means the record to be updated could be updated by
another user without the original user realizing it.

The current thinking is to rewrite the app back to C and host it on a
UNIX box.  While I am not a big fan of Windows, I just believe the
rewrite to be a drastic move.  So I am trying to figure what we can
do....

- I haven't used Oracle Data Provider for .NET but it "appears" to be
what we need.  Does that sound right to anyone???

- We are using Oracle 10.2, so I wondering if we should do some slight
SQL mods and use ORA_ROWSCN.  Has anyone used this feature???

Your clueless .net DBA,
Chris