Re: Oracle Book Mal-practice...

  • From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tomdaytwo@xxxxxxxxx, Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 10:47:39 -0700 (PDT)

To me... I think the truthful answer to a large majority of things is "It
depends". We have experiences in our lives that we did X and X made things
better... so all of a sudden X becomes the defacto way of doing things. We read
X in a book is fact, and perhaps we are a bit too trusting. Perhaps X is a new
technology and really nobody knows much of anything about X except what we
learn by trial and occasional error. It's all an iterative process, fraught
with error....

Be it separating tables and indexes, or whatever... I'm sure one could come up
with case studies that would validate separating them, or storing them
together.... It all depends.

I know I get a ton of heartburn out of the New Features titles in particular...
new stuff, limited documentation or experience with it, short writing time
frames..... I hate it when six months or a year later I start seeing
presentations on this topic or that topic that add so much more detail that I
wish I'd known at the time.

Then again, I love it when I give a new features presentation and share one new
feature and half the room is scribbling like mad because THAT feature will
better their lives.

 Robert G. Freeman
Oracle ACE
OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide
(Sybex)
Portable DBA: Oracle  (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)
Other various titles out of print now...
The LDS Church is looking for DBA's. You do have to be a Church member in
good standing. A lot of kind people write me, concerned I may be breaking
the law by saying you have to be a Church member. It's legal I promise! :-)
http://pages.sssnet.com/messndal/church/parachurch.pdf