Re: Oracle Archive Solution

  • From: kevin jernigan <kevin.jernigan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: litanli@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 12:02:03 -0700

Li,

We (Oracle) recommend that you consider using partitioning and
compression to keep more data in your database for longer, rather than
adding the complexity and expense of moving data out of your production
database into some other form of storage. We loosely describe this
approach as "in-database archiving".

Partitioning allows you to segment the data in your larger tables based
on timestamp or equivalent criteria, and then move the older less
valuable partitions to slower / cheaper / denser storage. Compression
can be applied on a per-partition basis to reduce the amount of storage
required for a given amount of user data, and also to improve
performance of queries that scan that data (by reducing the amount of
I/O needed). Oracle's database compression features can deliver 2x-4x
compression ratios with OLTP Table Compression, and up to 10x, 15x, or
more with Hybrid Columnar Compression on Oracle Storage (Exadata, ZFSSA,
Pillar Axiom) - so the storage savings can be extremely large. All of
this works transparently for end users and applications - no code
changes are required to implement partitioning or compression. Let me
know if you have questions about any of this...

Thanks,

Kevin Jernigan
Senior Director Product Management
Advanced Compression, Hybrid Columnar
Compression (HCC), Database File System
(DBFS), SecureFiles, Database Smart Flash
Cache, Total Recall, Database Resource
Manager (DBRM), Direct NFS Client (dNFS),
Continuous Query Notification (CQN),
Index Organized Tables (IOT), Information
Lifecycle Management (ILM)
(650) 607-0392 (o)
(415) 710-8828 (m)