Re: Oracle Application Server Admin

  • From: "Bill Ferguson" <wbfergus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 05:09:41 -0700

I installed it about 3 or 4 years ago. I have it on one machine with
my databases on different machines, so if my web server got hacked,
the hacker didn't have immediate access to the databases. It could
still happen, but at least it would take a few extra steps.

Anyway, getting it configured was a pain for me as well. It didn't
(and still doesn't) seem to make any sense that it also winds up
installing an Oracle database as part of the installation. With poor
documentation, I finally struggled through getting it configured and
working for my use, which is just as a 'first step' for using
Application Express apps on my databases. Luckily I didn't need to
install any of the java 'stuff' for regular apps, though I did
struggle once last year trying to figure to figure out how to get BI
Publisher running to see if it was worth it. That took about a week,
but I finally got it all going (the worst part was trying to find the
correct java 'thing' to get installed, the Sun site was terrible about
making what I needed easy to find)

But, after those headaches, it's been running pretty good on a Windows
2003 Server. The only things I've had to do are adding more DAD's for
different apps on the databases. But, I've also never taken the effort
to even attempt any of Oracle's patches after my first attempt ended
in failure. OAS has become such an important 'part' now that I'm
scared to mess with it, it's working, why try to fix it and take a
chance of it breaking?

But, there is also a new version, based on Apache 2.0 I believe, so
unfortuneatly, I think one of these days I'll have to uninstall
everthing and then install the new version, so the security folks will
quit having coniption fits. Money is extremley tight, so taking a
class is out of the question, and from the course descriptions I've
seen, mainly are geared towards adding in all the extra java junk that
I don't need or want. I have enough problems without trying to
decipher java error messages for my users (those are about the only
thing I've ever seen worse than Oracle error messages).

--
-- Bill Ferguson