Re: Oracle AWR - Time Model Statistics / background elapsed time < background cpu time

  • From: Stefan Koehler <contact@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Phillip Jones <phil@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 13:32:48 +0100 (CET)

Hi Phil,
that's true for the common used "Elapsed Time" vs. "DB CPU" as one RAC node got
160 CPUs, but the definition of the "Time Model Statistics" is
different:

background elapsed time = Amount of elapsed time (in microseconds) consumed by
database background processes
background CPU time = Amount of CPU time (in microseconds) consumed by database
background processes

The AWR report got an elapsed time of round about 3.600 seconds (59.96 mins).
The "background elapsed time" (= 33,676 seconds) is defined differently
as you can see.

However if the background elapsed time is the amount of elapsed time consumed
by database background processes (and also top of the statistic tree),
it must include the whole "background CPU time" in my opinion (and maybe more).

For example here it is in the right ball park:
https://hoopercharles.wordpress.com/2010/01/13/working-with-oracle-time-model-data/

Thank you.

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Freelance Oracle performance consultant and researcher
Homepage: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: @OracleSK