Oracle ASM w/ VCS in a NON-RAC Environment

  • From: "Vajrala, Madhusudana R." <Vajrala.Madhusudana@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 11:18:18 -0600

Hi,

We have two servers in VCS (Veritas Cluster Server) environment, on which we
run multiple oracle databases (9i rel 2) on both servers. We plan on upgrading
one of the database to 10g rel 2 and wanted to use ASM. Here is the thing that
I am trying to understand.

If there is a server (server-1) crash or manual fail-over of the database, VCS
starts database(s) and listener process(es) on the OTHER server (Server-2),
which is part of the cluster. Provided if we using the ASM for storage, how
does VCS can work w/ ASM to fail over the "ASM disk" to the other server
(server-2) and bring up the ASM instance (No Need to bring up the ASM instance)
and finally start the database?

Please advise me, if any one implemented ASM in server HA environments with
VCS,HP Service guard or suncluster w/o RACE.

Thank You,
Madhu