Oracle 9i RMAN with BrightStor ArcServe

  • From: "Alex Gorbachev" <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle_L_list <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 21:07:25 -0500

Hey listers,

I thought someone might have hit this one before.
Oracle 9.2.0.5 on Solaris, RMAN, BrightStor ArcServe ?

With one of our clients we have an open issue for months with CA and
so far I can summarize it as following:
- database backup in two channels
- one channel finishes much earlier than another one
- on BrightStor side, after 20 or 30 minutes the job corresponding to
this first channel fails with error "connection to [hostname] failed"
or something similar.
- after database backup finishes, controlfile auto backup fails with
chance 50/50. I.e. 50% chance to choose "dead" channel.
- originally there was archive log backup following database backup
but as you might have guessed that one was failing with 100%
probability.
- the only workaround I can imagine is to use one channel but this is
unacceptable - backup takes too long then.

I can look up exact errors and timeout if that helps.

CA support is completely hopeless on BrightStor - you would be
surprised how good Oracle support compare to those jokers.

Thanks for any hints.

Alex

--
Best regards,