RE: Oracle 8i database reorg

  • From: Stephen.Lee@xxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 11:14:43 -0500

I favor tablespaces with uniform extent sizes, so one must create new
tablespaces, then use exp/imp to copy the user data.  The only snag I've
encountered doing it this way is that the initial and next extent sizes
defined in the export file will probably not match your nice and tidy
uniform extent sizing.  You will still get uniform extent sizes, but the
sizes might not be what you had in mind.  The tables and indexes will be
created at least as big as the initial extent size in the create statement,
but uniform extents might make them bigger.  For example, if you defined 10M
uniform extents, and you have a bunch of little tables, then each table (and
index) will get at least 10M no matter what you say.

For my test and dev environments, where we try to pack things tighter than
production, I have a C programs (could also be done with PURL ... but not
with sed (I'm pretty sure) ... but if the exp file isn't too big, it's
possible to do it with emacs ... but not vi) that reads the exp file and
changes every occurrence of INITIAL and NEXT to either 256K or 2M depending
what environment I'm populating.