Re: Oracle 7 logon

  • From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 11:00:55 -0600

On 19/03/2013 10:44 AM, Christopher.Taylor2@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> using OS authentication it was
>
> sqlplus using the OS authentication prefix I think.
>
> I "think" you had to actually do sqlplus ops$username after setting oracle
> SID env variable on the server back on an AT&T NCR Unix box in 97 I believe
> (first Oracle database I had access to out of college so I'm probably wrong)

OS Authentication set up:  You would normally create a user in Oracle
using OPS$ as prefix to the OS username.  (That prefix is now defined by
an init parameter.)  The Oracle username was in uppercase, and the
connection method did the appropriate translation.

Then you would use

        sqlplus /

If you wanted to connect as sysdba, you would use

         svrmgrl

and generally 'connect internal' once inside svrmgrl without the 'AS
SYSDBA' notation that was required when they merged svrmgrl and sqlplus.

/Hans