Re: Oracle 32 bit Vs 64 bit

  • From: "Charles Schultz" <sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nirmalya@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 13:44:22 -0500

It is my understanding that this will not work due to the different word
size - the 64-bit software will point to different locations than your
32-bit software. What version are you dealing with? If you are going from
anything lower than 10gR1 to 10gR2, the upgrade will automatically convert
the word size. If you are coming from 10gR1, there is a rather simple script
you can run to accomplish this during the upgrade.

So in essence, you could clone the database (via mirrors, if you like),
upgrade as documented and you should be all set.

On 9/6/06, Nirmalya Das <nirmalya@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Currently we run Oracle standard edition (32 bit) on RHEL release 4 on an IBM 345 (x86) with 6GB of memory.

Here's what I am trying to accomplish:

1. Trying to figure out whether 64 bit Oracle will improve performance.

I will appreciate if anyone could share their experience who has done such
testing already and have established a performance matrix.

2. I am setting up a machine with 64 bit oracle. Trying to figure out the
fastest way to set up the database with data from an existing 32 bit
database.

I am trying to avoid exp/imp process really.

Here's what I am thinking:

  - install 64 bit oracle on the new machine
  - create an empty database.
  - break the mirror (data disks) from the 32 bit machine and bring one
set of
    data disks to the new machine.
  - create new tablespaces on the new machine and point the datafiles to
newly
    acquired disks with data from the 32 bit machine.

Do you think that will work?
Is this a crazy idea......
If it works but the performance gain from 64 bit Oracle is nothing then
take
those data disks and move it to the old 32 bit machine.

Thanks all for your input.

Nirmalya
--
//www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l