Oracle 32 bit Vs 64 bit

  • From: Nirmalya Das <nirmalya@xxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 11:38:48 -0700

Currently we run Oracle standard edition (32 bit) on RHEL release 4 on an IBM
345 (x86) with 6GB of memory.

Here's what I am trying to accomplish:

1. Trying to figure out whether 64 bit Oracle will improve performance.

I will appreciate if anyone could share their experience who has done such
testing already and have established a performance matrix.

2. I am setting up a machine with 64 bit oracle. Trying to figure out the
fastest way to set up the database with data from an existing 32 bit database.

I am trying to avoid exp/imp process really.

Here's what I am thinking:

  - install 64 bit oracle on the new machine
  - create an empty database.
  - break the mirror (data disks) from the 32 bit machine and bring one set of
    data disks to the new machine.
  - create new tablespaces on the new machine and point the datafiles to newly
    acquired disks with data from the 32 bit machine.

Do you think that will work?
Is this a crazy idea......
If it works but the performance gain from 64 bit Oracle is nothing then take
those data disks and move it to the old 32 bit machine.

Thanks all for your input.

Nirmalya
--
//www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l