Re: Oracle 12c RAC in Docker

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 19:52:01 -0400

On 08/29/2016 07:03 PM, Tim Gorman wrote:

When you're the only one interpreting your response as "polite", then it's past time to evaluate one's own actions objectively and unflinchingly.

My question was "What would be the point?".  What is not polite there?

In many respects, virtual machines are still a single-tenant approach to server resources which is less efficient when all the services or resources aren't needed, while containers represent a more efficient multi-tenant architecture. The same rationale which has worked so well for SQL Server, Sybase, and MySQL at the database level, which Oracle is joining with the multi-tenant option, is the rationale behind Docker and LXC at the OS level.

OK. I see your point. What I still don't see is Docker on the desktops. It is still much easier to administer VMWare or Hyper-V than Docker.

In the case of RAC, /containers meant for easy distribution/ are probably how OPS/RAC should have been designed from the outset, and it is never too late to try to retrofit.

Now that is debatable. I happen to think that RAC makes no sense on virtual machines. The stated purpose of RAC is to provide fault tolerance. The price for that is in the application adjustments that are necessary for RAC. In my opinion, running RAC on a virtual machines doesn't make any sense whatsoever, except for training/learning purposes. Basically, if your ESXi goes down, the entire RAC goes down. Also, the speed requirements on the internal interconnect are significant. I am not sure that a VM of any kind can provide an adequate performance for a production RAC.

On 8/29/16 16:02, Mladen Gogala wrote:
On 08/29/2016 05:41 PM, Tim Gorman wrote:
A simple "no, I have not" would have been a civil (though equally unnecessary) response. "No, I don't know, so neither should you" would appear to have been a more honest response.
Thanks for the lecture, but it is completely unnecessary, as most of the condescending lectures usually are. Nevertheless, people seem to be compelled to giving them anyway. My question was honest. Oracle RAC provides fault tolerance and requires considerable resources like shared storage, two network cards and several sets of IP addresses. Docker containers are lightweight virtual machines meant for easy distribution. What would be the point of that? The question is completely fair: what would such a configuration be used for?

There is a lot to found googling information about LXC and Oracle <https://www.google.com/#q=lxc+oracle+12c>, including official product pages, blog posts, presentations, and videos. Likewise, there are detailed articles about Docker and Oracle <https://www.google.com/#q=docker+oracle+12c> from Frits Hoogland <https://fritshoogland.wordpress.com/2015/08/11/installing-the-oracle-database-in-docker/> and Franck Pachot <https://www.doag.org/formes/pubfiles/6939790/docs/Publikationen/DOAGNews/2015/03-2015/2015-03-News-Franck_Pachot-Data-virtualization-playing-with-Oracle-12c-on-Docker-containers-E.pdf>, among others.

Is there anything specific you're seeking, or steps with which to get started?

I am not particularly interested in Docker yet. It is still not a mainstream technology. I only politely asked what would be the point of putting RAC nodes into Docker containers. For training purposes, virtual machines are more than appropriate.

On 8/29/16 15:17, Mladen Gogala wrote:
On 08/29/2016 02:20 PM, Seth Miller wrote:
Has anyone attempted to get 12.1.0.2 RAC running in Docker or LXC yet?

Seth Miller

What would be the point of that?

--
Mladen Gogala