Re: Oracle 12c Inmemory - don't stop thinking

  • From: Kevin Jernigan <kevin.jernigan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: usn@xxxxxxxxx, mark.powell2@xxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 10:02:41 -0700

In 12.1.0.2, inmemory_size is set to 0 by default, and unless it has a non-zero value, usage of the Database In-Memory option will track as "false". Note that the DBA has to go out of his/her way to set inmemory_size, as you must restart the db instance for changes to non-zero values to take effect.

So, it is explicitly NOT TRUE that Database In-Memory is enabled by default - and it's (IMHO) irresponsible (at best) to suggest otherwise...

-KJ

--
Kevin Jernigan
Senior Director Product Management

On 7/28/14, 7:14 AM, Martin Klier wrote:
Hi,

"enabled by default" - is not exactly true. The INMEMORY pool is zero by
default, but I must confess I did not check how usage watermarks for the
option are checked.

Regards
Martin

Am 25.07.2014 18:36, schrieb Powell, Mark:
I will add that this feature while enabled by default is extra-cost, very
expensive extra-cost at that.