Re: Oracle 12c DB for EM12c

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Pete Sharman <pete.sharman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 09:34:04 +0100

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 7:58 AM, Peter Sharman <pete.sharman@xxxxxxxxxx>wrote:
> Not quite correct.  You need the 12.1.0.4.0 DB plugin, the version number
> of EM12c remains at 12.1.0.3.0.
>
> Ain't version numbers fun now!

Hijacking this a bit^H^H^H^H a lot. It's not so much the version numbers
that bother me, but the support/certified combo dance that seems likely to
result. I must admit to being really hacked off when EM11 had issues with
clustered SOA composites (because it received data from each of the cluster
members rather than just one) and support wouldn't help us out because the
version of SOA was a point release ahead of the certified combination. The
reason it was a point release ahead was of course because support had told
our client to upgrade to fix bugs in SOA. We had to construct a test case
that used different components to prove it was related to the fact that the
environment was clustered rather than a new failure of EM to recognize
clusters when the version of SOA got a patchset. In principle of course the
plugin architecture will help greatly with certification - especially if
Oracle manage to mandate product groups certify against an existing plugin
or update the plugin before a new patchset is released - but I do worry
that there will be days of time spent on "no you need this patch to OUI to
apply that patch to the managed target and this plugin updated to that
version" before support issues actually get attention.

p.s. The client didn't bother licensing the SOA management suite (or
several other EM added cost options) partly as a result of this support
silliness.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA