Re: Oracle 11gR2 is GA today

  • From: Kerry Osborne <kerry.osborne@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 16:40:27 -0500

Wow - I think somebody let the marketing guys get a hold of that one!

Oracle Database 11g Release 2, the second release of the award winning Oracle Database 11g, provides the foundation for IT professionals to successfully deliver more information with higher quality of service, make more efficient use of their budgets, and reduce the risk of change in data centers. By deploying Oracle Database 11g Release 2 as their data management foundation, organizations can utilize the full power of the
worldʼs leading database to:
• reduce server costs by a factor of 5,
• reduce storage requirements by a factor of 12,
• improve mission critical system performance by a factor of 10,
• increase DBA and Developer productivity by a factor of 2,
• eliminate idle redundancy in the data center

To quote Ned Pepper in True Grit (it's a really old John Wayne movie for those of you too young to have heard of it):

   "I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man."

I mean, I can't wait to try out some of the new features, and no doubt there are some very interesting enhancements, but seriously, how did they calculate all those numbers? Marketing guys crack me up.

Kerry Osborne
Enkitec
blog: kerryosborne.oracle-guy.com

On Sep 1, 2009, at 9:25 AM, Greg Rahn wrote:

I would give this a read as well:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/oracle11g/pdf/oracle-database-11g-release2-overview.pdf
linked from
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/oracle11g