RE: Oracle (11g) on Solaris X86 - bad move?

  • From: "John Hallas" <john.hallas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Alex Gorbachev" <ag@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 08:23:21 -0000

Thanks Alex,
Yours was the only response to the list but I had 3 private messages all
basically agreeing with what I see as a major concern.

One sentence seems to summarise the situation "However, the lack of
direction and support from Oracle on certifying EBS on Solaris-x86 has
been a barrier for us to come to the final decision".

Whilst not wanting to go too specifically into our situation the client
has selected Oracle as the database of choice and the x86 chip as best
bang for the buck. I personally think that the o/s should be Linux, but
that requires a major sea-change for the client. Before I raised the
issue I wanted to be sure that I was not a voice in the wilderness and
easily shot down. I don't think that is the case.

The application code is pretty o/s independent anyway as you pointed out
it should be.

John