Re: Oracle 11g Advanced Security Option

  • From: "Stefan Knecht" <knecht.stefan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: regdba@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 23:10:49 +0100

AFAIK ASO has always been an option to the enterprise edition - and
therefore subject to additional license cost.

There's several ways of doing encryption inside the database:

- Application-level encryption
You leave the encryption (and key management) to the application

- DBMS_CRYPTO (formerly DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT)
Sort of an intermediate solution. The database does the encryption for you,
but you need to manage the keys

- ASO
IMHO the easiest solution, and probably also the most reliable one (from a
security point of view), and with encryptable tablespaces (new in 11g) also
the one that will have the least impact to your performance.

You should check with your application folks what is possible for you. ASO
works good, and it's used by several clients of mine (the 10gr2 version of
it, encrypting columns, not tablespaces) -- but you need to make sure you
can take the performance implications of this feature in your environment.

Stefan

=========================

Stefan P Knecht
Senior Consultant