Oracle 11G Upgrade

  • From: Jack van Zanen <jack@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 09:13:20 +1100

Hi All,

We have a database where we are upgraded to 11G from 9i. We have gone
through the cycle of upgrading test first and doing testing before
upgrading production and everything appeared fine.

Generally speaking the business is happy with performance except for one
process that has slowed down quite badly.

We are on windows 32 bit oracle 11.2.0.3

The process that slowed down is below procedure which gets executed a lot
of times.

We have no access to the source to change this so changing to merge is not
an option.

Files are loaded that have a lot of history in it so the exception handler
kicks in more often than not.
When we do an initial load it is fast (just insert), but when the exception
kicks in because of the duplicate value the performance goes south.

If I check the explain plan it uses the index to find the record to update
so I do not see how to make that any faster. I am now thinking that it may
be a difference in the way oracle 9i and 11G handle the exception that is
causing it to take more time than it should.

I should say when we run 30 processes at the same time it comes to a
grinding halt and when we run 4-5 at least it finishes.

 PROCEDURE DBO.insert_in_r( id_mp IN NUMBER,
id_rt IN NUMBER, ts IN DATE, r_val IN FLOAT, stat IN NUMBER )
IS
BEGIN
INSERT INTO DBO.results VALUES ( id_mp, id_rt, ts, r_val, stat );
EXCEPTION
WHEN DUP_VAL_ON_INDEX THEN
UPDATE dbo.Results
SET ResultValue = r_val, Status = stat
WHERE
ID_MeasurementPlace = id_mp AND
ID_ResultType = id_rt AND
ResultTimeStamp = ts;
END insert_in_r;
/

Anybody have any idea where to look for a solution?

Jack van Zanen

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential material for the
sole use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient,
please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
e-mail or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please contact the sender and delete all copies.
Thank you for your cooperation