Re: Oracle 11 install wants to use Oracle 10 oraInventory

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wts@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 12:07:38 -0700

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Wayne Smith <wts@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Maybe I missed something, but normally one machine has one oracle inventory
> for all installed stuff.   Let it use your current oraInventory and when you
> are done with 10g, uninstall it, causing oraInventory to be cleaned up.

Not always.  There are DBA's (me included) that keep a separate oraInventory
for each ORACLE_HOME.

Having been burned by inventory issues once, I try to not let it happen
again.

At least if an inventory gets corrupted, it does not affect other databases
on the server.

Jared Still
Home Page: http://jaredstill.com