Re: Oracle 10g hangs ...earlier running smoothly

  • From: Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: saad4u@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 08:40:47 -0700

Although I am enjoying the guessing game, I would suggest using the _prelim connection and direct access. I didn't test on your version, so you might have to mess with it a bit.

To get a hanganalyze on a completely hung system:

$ sqlplus /nolog
SQL> set _prelim on
SQL> connect / as sysdba
SQL> oradebug setorapname pmon
SQL> oradebug dump hanganalyze 1

In the above example, you can specify any process that is getting CPU. You can find that with top or ps, and you can also specify it by O/S pid (oradebug setospid 12345).

You could also dump the contents of the wait interface or the ASH buffer to get information on the hang.

$ sqlplus /nolog
SQL> set _prelim on
SQL> connect / as sysdba
SQL> oradebug setmypid
SQL> oradebug direct_access enable trace
SQL> oradebug direct_access disable reply
SQL> oradebug direct_access set content_type = 'text/plain'
SQL> oradebug direct_access select * from x$ksles
SQL> oradebug direct_access select * from x$ash
SQL> oradebug tracefile_name

Feel free to share to contents of either of these tracefiles from during a hang.

Jeremiah Wilton
Blue Gecko, Inc.
http://www.bluegecko.net

On May 19, 2009, at 8:09 AM, Saad Khan wrote:

1) The oracle version is 10.2.0.1
2) The machine is up for 87 days. [Tao:Not sure if the bug applies here or no] 3) The Alert file was last updated on Apr. 11. And the last messages were normal logswitches and other stuff. Nothing very alarming
4) I dont think the audit was ever turned on.
5) There is plenty of space (in GBs) available in filesystems particularly ORACLE_HOME
6) changePerm.sh is already run.