Re: Oracle 10g XE service disappears

  • From: De DBA <dedba@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: backseatdba@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 09:32:17 +1000

You don't mention the version of Windows.. At first glance, I would suspect that the
process memory is exhausted which causes the oracle process to crash. Remember that
unlike Unix platforms, on Windows oracle runs as a single process and all
"processes" related to the instance are really threads within that process
address space. This limits the combined oracle processes address space to 3GB (2GB user
mode, 1GB kernel mode) on older (32-bit) Windows platforms, regardless of how much memory
is installed. I could imagine that frequent reloading causes APEX to use a lot of memory,
and that limit may be reached. Perhaps the eventlog shows entries from the Windows exec
referring to an application popup or similar?

Cheers,
Tony

On 14/11/13 08:06, Jeff C wrote:
We are running an Oracle 10g XE instance which has worked fine for years but we
recently started using Apex with it, upgraded to Apex 4.2.  There have been two
instance in the last week where the Windows server for Oracle has just stopped
running, the Oracle processes is gone.  The alert logs have not reports of
errors, it is like the database is working and then all of a sudden nothing.
The Windows Event Viewer also has nothing to report.  Both times that it
happened users were frequently refreshing the Apex page then all of a sudden
the page doesn't load cause Oracle is down.  Oh and a lot of the data that is
being shown in Apex is coming through a database link to a SQL Server Express
instance if matters.

Anybody have any help on how to troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks.