RE: Oracle 10g Rel.2 taking longer time when SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 12:44:16 -0700

        >>>If you must bounce the db what is wrong with shutdown abort?
You don't look as if this is for a cold backup so who cares that some
recovery is required?

...there are 600+ connections. might it not be smart to switch logs a
couple of times before the shutdown abort? In general I find way too
much paranoia about shutdown abort. If you don't think Oracle can
handle recovery from a shutdown abort, you should be very very afraid.
We're not talking about ASM here, we are talking recoverablity--the
ultimate functionality of the Oracle server...the prime functionality...
the stuff you can be sure actually works...always works.
I have never shutdown any Oracle database since 6.0.21 (since before
that
I couldn't figure out how to be mean with documented options to the
IOR command :-)) with any command other than shutdown abort. I used to
be an
Informix guy (and Wang PACE, CDC IPF2, FOCUS, ugh) so I wanted to put
Oracle to
the test on their  recovery claims. I have never seen a database fail
to start after shutdown abort. Be aware,  that those have been some
REALLY REALLY busy systems...thousands of users, tens of thousands of
IOps, etc...