Re: Oracle 10g Rel.2 taking longer time when SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sjaffarhussain@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 20:22:05 +0100

A couple of questions.

Why bounce the databases at all if downtime of a few tens of minutes
matters? My general position is that where a database is being deliberately
taken down on a schedule that isn't for patching etc something (app/backup
strategy etc) is wrong. There could be a good reason for it, but often there
isn't.

If you must bounce the db what is wrong with shutdown abort? You don't look
as if this is for a cold backup so who cares that some recovery is required?

On 8/11/06, Syed Jaffar Hussain <sjaffarhussain@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello List,

Since migrated from 9i to 10g, we are facing few new issues.
At our premises, we tend to bounce our database at week-end. In 9i, it
was talking few minutes. But, in 10g Re2.10, it is taking more 20
minutes.
When we shutdown immediate, there would be around 600+ inactive
sessions. In 9i, there was not issues with the number of inactive
session, but, in 10g Rel.2, I believe, some internal changes have been
made while killing the inactive session. Thats why, it might be taking
longer time.
I am afraid, if this is the case, in case of emergency, we need to
wait 20+ minutes to bring down the database. I dont want to opt for
'shutdown abort' option.
Is anyone had/having the same issue with 'shutdown immediate' in
Oracle 10g Rel.2?

-- Best Regards, Syed Jaffar Hussain 8i,9i & 10g OCP DBA Banque Saudi Fransi, Saudi Arabia

I blog at :http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#hussain

"Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.orawin.info