Oracle 10g OFA

  • From: Byron Pearce <pearceb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 10:50:50 -0500

I know this isn't really a big deal, but it has me very curious. . .

We all know that OFA has been around for ages and has pretty much
remained the same.  However, it appears that Oracle 10g is implementing
a new layer to OFA (reference
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/html/B10811_01/app_ofa.htm#sthref1889).

Basically it says this:

> For Oracle Database 10g, the OFA recommended Oracle home path has
> changed. The OFA recommended path is now similar to the following:
>
> /u01/app/oracle/product/10.1.0/type[_n]
>

> In this example, type is the type of Oracle home, for example Oracle
> Database (db) or Oracle Client (client), and n is an optional counter.
> This syntax provides the following benefits:

It goes on to say that the main benefit is the ability install different
products with the same release number under the same version number, or
that the same product can be installed more than once.  Neither of those
seem terribly compelling to me.

I am feeling a bit like the old Oracle dinosaur that I am, so maybe I
just can't see the forest for the trees.

Any thoughts or opinions regarding why this change is a *good* thing?
Or does everyone's opinion mirror mine in an "if it ain't broke, don't
fix it" sort of way?  I feel like I must be missing something here.  Is
this just change for change's sake or is this actually a change for a
valid reason?

I await enlightenment.

Byron Pearce                         mailto:pearceb@xxxxxxxxxx
Tenure Systems, Inc.                 Dallas/Fort Worth, TX

"It's hard to be a ninja when you wear a beeper."